Today, Ryan brought home a personality quiz called Strengths Finder. You had to answer questions on the computer in 20 seconds or less. I wonder if Tom Rath, who wrote the test, imagined someone in my circumstances taking it. Clearly, he doesn't have kids. Or he would surely have allowed more than 20 seconds per question. That is simply not enough time to remove the lighter from River's hands, pull Sage away from the tub, find the tape for Eva, move River to another room so he wouldn't sit on Sage (yes, sit on her), make the cd player stop skipping, and get the lid off the marker. There were 60 questions, and I think I walked away from the computer 59 times to take care of something or someone.
I made it to the end though, and despite the supposed strengths the computer found for me, I am proudest of the extreme strength I mustered today - and everyday - to keep this family floating. There is bickering and pestering and attitudes and sometimes joy. I'm not saying that I do it superbly. But I am saying that I DO IT. I'm in a state of mind lately that says that this parenting/wifing/home-making thing is one heck of a hard job. And I'm proud and grateful that I find the strength to do it.
Thank you, God, for the way your spirit urges me to dig down deep and gather up my reserves and pull through each day of this thing called being a grown-up. And thank you for giving my family the strength to withstand my moods and whims and demands.
This life, yes, it is good.
And its about time for another recipe....
Herb Butter...
1/2 c. butter or margarine
2 Tbsp. chives or green onion
2 Tbsp. chopped basil (you can also use dill or parsley, but as long as there is basil on this earth, why would you ever use anything but?!)
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 big dash of lime juice
Stir together and pat into a block. Serve on oatmeal bread.
Yummmmmmmm.
Ok....tonight's dance party is to Cherry Poppin' Daddies, and it has already begun.
If Tom Rath really knew what he was doing, he would've named Dancing as a strength!

