That Reba's restaurant exists in Newton (Smallville, USA) is nothing short of miraculous. It is a severely cool place for so many reasons, and I fall more deeply in love with it every time I'm there. Last night my BFF Allison and I went. (Insert your comments here about that not sounding like bedrest. If it worries you, just stop reading now and pretend this post never happened. I'm over it.)
Reba makes this salad with mixed greens, spicy candied pecans, tomatoes, and homemade blue cheese ranch. I finished mine, and then I finished Allison's. I wanted to lick the plate, but we were sitting at the bar and I felt conspicuous. And they bring you a fresh herbed roll with a knife sticking straight out of it, with a bowl (not just a ramekin) of oil with roasted garlic cloves. When you squeeze fresh lemon into the oil and salt it, then dip the bread, you will just never be the same again. Never. That's why I had to ask for a second roll. Just to be sure. When you order coffee at the end of the night, accompanying it is a little crisp molasses sugar cookie.
They have the most beautiful waitresses ever. Half the joy of being there is seeing what cool clothes and funky costume jewelry they are wearing. And their current hair color. I love to watch the smooth, confident, sexy, quick way they maneuver the whole dining experience. Their two male bar tenders look like they are 17 years old, which always makes me even more curious to watch them. But they're way more smooth and secure than I ever dreamt of being at 17, so they have to be at least 21, right?
I asked one what music was playing, and he quietly and humbly told me much about Nick Drake. The only hiccup in the night came when I asked if everyone but me knows Nick Drake and he said "he's a 70's folk singer that's pretty common college-crowd listening". Is it that obvious that I went to college 10 years ago and I have NO idea what happens on that scene anymore?! Maybe my bulging belly gave it away? But...in true Reba's experience fashion, he slipped me the Nick Drake cd and all was again well.
When Allison and I finally dragged ourselves away, the kitchen was closed and the staff were lining up shots on the bar. I wanted to ask if I could stay just a little longer to eat another roll, soak in their coolness, and take a shot too. But I know they would've said yes.