Eva and I went to the Wichita Art Museum on Saturday with friends. The giant outdoor sculpture on which we ate our lunch caught my heart and my brain. The piece is a commentary on many ideas related to war. It is of a severed body with tiny soldiers surrounding it.
Here sits Eva's lunch, on a severed foot, with a little soldier who is holding a gun and is wearing a muzzle, while leaning against a coin. My daughter plays in the severed hand in the background.
Children...money...food...weapons...war...speech...play...
What is your reaction? What is it saying to you?
And just so that you don't think I've abandoned all whimsy, here's another photo from the day. She was the volunteer in the kids' craft area. I couldn't take my eyes off her incredible enormous red glasses. If you ever find a pair like this, buy them immediately.
I will reimburse you double.
I want to wear them every single day when I'm old.

