When Sara Jane offered me some "mexicalli" for lunch, I scoffed and said "Some What?!" My rudeness filter seems to be turned very very low these days. Something I truly am working on.
But I tried it and it changed my life so I went home and made it for my family. You really must do it too. Its her grandma's recipe, and I took some liberties with it, so I can't exactly call it an heirloom. Sara Jane said you just throw in whatever is in your garden. This is the yummiest use for garden squash yet!
1 can of diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 whole tomato or two, chopped up (or just use another can)
1 zucchini (cut up into big stew-size pieces)
1 small yellow squash (cut up into big stew-size pieces)
1 small onion (cut up into big stew-size pieces)
3 shredded carrots
1 Tbsp. each dried red bell pepper and dried green bell pepper
(You'll only have this on hand if you shop at Amish stores in Indiana or Iowa as much as I do. If you don't have it, just use fresh ones. Or none at all.)
1 big hearty squirt of mustard
1 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper to taste
(She said you can throw in some browned ground beef too. If you really must have animal flesh in your stew.)
Combine it all in a pot and let it simmer on medium heat until the squash is cooked through (about 30 minutes). We ate it with oatmeal bread and honeydew melon.
In other news, I have a new helper. I thought I would just place my Sage with all the other plants on the kitchen counter. She's right at home there, and is an absolutely wonderful supervisor. Very affirmative and never critical.
And one last thing. Eva seems to think that if she takes a picture of her mess and brings it to me, it breaks the news easier than when she just straight out tells me. This was my news this morning: