Advent String

I wanted to create an Advent calendar with the kids, and have been tossing around ideas and checking them out on pinterest.
But I've been getting more and more persnickity (is that a word, or is it just my Mom's word?) about what I wanted.  

Here's the criteria:
* inexpensive
* the kids can make it
* it can hang in our dining room and not be too gaudy
* its fun
* it makes us mindful each day of Jesus and his birth
* no crappy trinkets and daily prizes (I'll save that soapbox for another day.  You're welcome.)

So here's what we came up with yesterday afternoon....
(For TWO DOLLARS!!)

 

Eva wrote all the numbers - correctly and in the correct order.  I didn't know she could do that!

I asked the kids to think of things we could do that would honor who Jesus was and what he taught us...Eva first suggested we could give someone a centipede. Um....(I think she may have thought that would bring someone great joy?!)  Then after I tried to focus her a bit more on reality, she suggested we give someone a boat ride.  Um...More talking about how we don't have a boat and the water around here will freeze soon.


Creating it ended up being a great exercise in understanding my kids and their view of Jesus.

They suggested that we are kind even when its hard, 
that we drink 5 glasses of water a day to take care of our bodies, 
that we pray for children without families,
that we read a Christmas story to cousin Malachi...

I've learned more about being a Jesus-follower already, and the countdown hasn't even started yet.

Thank you, my kiddos!