Tomato Bisque

A few tidbits from our life this week that have made me laugh and kept me humble...

* River and I were playing Slap Jack, and he was beating me.  Near the end of the game, he sang, "I'm on the edge of glory" - in perfect tune and all.  Thank you, Lady Buzz.

* Last night we ate at Pei Wei with Mom and Dad.  As we were leaving, Mom and I declared it a successful meal...a.k.a. no fighting, no screaming, food eaten, and no time-outs.  Miiiiiight have spoken a bit too soon...I opened my fortune cookie, a soda was spilled ALL over the floor and table and chairs, I went to tell the manager, and then read my fortune.  It said "Adventure can bring real happiness."  Yes, it can.  Thank you, my kiddos, for making everything an adventure.

* Today, Ryan took the two bigs to school with him.  He texted me a picture of them making a huge collage.  What an awesome day with Dad!  I just looked at it again a little bit ago...Eva is wearing a thin, sleeveless sundress and flip-flops.  Its snowing today.  Sigh.  I am n.o.t. going to complain.  Ryan fed them, dressed them, and took them along to work.  She could be wearing her swimsuit and I'd still be happy.

And here's a recipe for your holidays at home.  I'm not going to say where it came from because I don't think I'm technically supposed to have the recipe.  But its from a really awesome girl who got it from a really awesome place.

Remember how I said I'm planning my life around the basil plant in my windowsil?  Still doing it.

Tomato Bisque...


     Saute together until veggies are tender:
4 big carrots, shredded
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. butter
     Add:
1 quart can of tomato juice
5 cans of diced tomatoes
6 oz. of tomato paste
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic
     Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for at least 30 minutes.
     Blend with a hand blender or food processor and then return it to the pot.
     Stir in:
1 c. whole milk or cream
2 tsp. sugar
a handful of chopped basil
   Heat until warmed through.  
   We serve it with homemade bread.  (See the oatmeal bread recipe.)  

It will put you on the edge of glory, I promise.