Beware the Ides of February

Usually its March in our family.  Really it is.  But that's another story.
This year, though, its February.

First sweet Sage got sick sick sick.

Second, the van battery needed to be replaced.  Then the alternator.  In River's words, "Dad, its deader than dead."  Still not entirely sure if that's the problem, because right now the old alternator is in the trunk of the accord on its way to O'Reilly to be tested.  Ryan worked for 2 hours in the cold last night to remove it.  He's a stud for so many reasons.

This morning, a really nice man from the city knocked on the door and said, "Maam, your water meter is just spinning............"  Turns out the water softener is just running and running and running like there's no tomorrow.  Maybe it knows something I don't.  But back to the man from the city....

I've never been called "Maam" so many times in my life.  I liked it.  It was 10 am though, and this was the scene in our house....toys ev.ery.where....Buzz in his underware...the tv on...me still in my pjs (think bright pink polka dot pants and a pink tank top.  no bra of course.  Dirty teeth.  Uncombed hair.  Racoon eyes.)  And a fussy, snot-nosed baby on my hip.  I couldn't understand the plumber language he was talking and he talked about how I should call my husband.  Then he said, "I'm sorry.  Are you married?" in the most polite way possible.  Yes, sir, despite all appearances to the contrary, I am.  But I was all flustered - between the no bra and the water leak and all the "maam's." - I said, "Well, yes I am, but he lives in Wichita."  I meeeeeeeeeeeaaaaan he WORKS in Wichita.  I'm sure he was thinking "yes ok, whatever you need to say to make yourself feel a little better, maaam".

Whatever.  We survived.  And he was nice.  And pride is overrated anyway.

But don't say I didn't warn you...Beware the Ides!