enchanted

"There is an enchanted place in every childhood...where the colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more magical than ever again."

While Ryan worked every day during spring break (amaaazing hard working man), we spent our days doing as little as possible.  There aren't many pictures.  There aren't many specific memories.  That was just as I wanted it.  To create space where our kids could play and just be.  This childhood of theirs is so terribly fleeting.  I want to make space for the enchanted.  Strange isn't it, how we have to intentionally free space in our lives for space?!



And now that we're grown-ups, or at least pretending to be, I think we sometimes substitute other joys and extravagances for that magical enchantedness of childhood that we now miss.  And sometimes we catch a wiff of what we had.  That happens often to me since I live in the home I grew up in.  Last night, the upstairs of our house smelled exactly like when I went to bed as a kid.  Mmmmmmm.

Well, in other news, here's an amazing and eeeeeasy recipe that Melody made when we visited her in Nebraska.  I'm not a good breakfast maker.  I think it has something to do with the time of day that breakfast is served.  I could make a rockstar breakfast at 10 pm.  But I think I could swing this even before coffee....


Overnight French Toast

2 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
12 slices of thick bread
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. mlk
6 eggs

Cook the syrup, butter, and sugar over medium heat until a syrup.  Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray and pour the syrup in the pan.  Place the bread over the syrup (6 wide by 2 deep).  Beat together the remaining ingredients and pour it over the bread.  Cover and place in the fridge overnight.  Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Talashia, I know you'll find a healthier way to make it, so share the recipe when you do!