1988? Is that you?!!
In the middle of this clustery June, we had a garage sale with friends. I was a garage-sale-hosting-virgin. I might do it again and I might not. More on that another day. Eva came away with this sweeeeeeet wallet. Its neon orange and green and yellow and pink inside, with lots of velcro pockets. I asked her if I could have it because it makes me feel 12 years old again. Just the feel and sound of it make me want to ride my bike to the grocery store to spend my allowance on cheese puffs and Clearly Canadians. As you can see, she loves it and is not willing to share.
I could not get a good picture of this quiche. It doesn't look that great. But we are quiche freaks, and it is our favorite quiche EVER. Some of you are making pesto from your gardens right now......make this quiche! (Just seeing how many times I can print that word. I do so love it.)
Pesto-Quinoa Quiche
1 frozen pie crust
1 c. shredded cheese (grab whatever kind from your fridge)
1 c. water
1/2 c. uncooked quinoa (red, brown, whatever)
1/4 c. pesto
1/4 c. chopped pecans (optional)
1 box forzen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 1/4 c. grated parmesean
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk (best not to use skim, but anything else will do)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
small handful of basil leaves
Press the crust into a round pie pan. Bake it for 10 minutes at 425 degrees, and then remove it from the oven. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the 1 c. shredded cheese into the crust.
Heat the 1 c. water to boiling. Stir in the quinoa and reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Then, remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
Stir the pesto, nuts, spinach, and 1 c. of the parmesean into the quinoa. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Combine these two mixtures together. Pour into the pie crust. Sprinkle with the remaining parmesean.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Top it with the basil leaves and let it stand 10 minutes before serving.
There's usually enough filling left over to fill about 5 muffin cups. We make those and bake them a bit shorter than the quiche - they make awesome breakfasts on the go. And that's how we made Eva's gluten-free.
Looks like a lot of work, but its really not. And its deeee-lish.
In other news...
When you deprive your children of tv and then turn it on, this is what happens.
They miiiiight have been this way a good 20 minutes before I noticed.
Jessica (our optometrist), pretend you didn't see this.


