with or without

Ok, there is much much much to do around here.  Now that the wedding bash is over and reality has struck, we've been up to our knees in the muck of such drama as fevers and picnics and a new van transmission and a totally trashed out house and getting things going on our Wednesday night church program and last details at Ryan's job before he closes the summer work chapter and library storytime and friends and meetings and well, let's just say life is full and its all good.

We are heading soon to God's country, known to some as the great state of Michigan.  I simply cannot wait.  The beach and family and zero loads of laundry or work meetings await us.  The stack is ready...


Have you read any of these?  I thought Mary Karr was supposed to be funny, but she's not.  She's sad.  But I can't stop reading it because she's such an incredible writer.  I've read Plan B twice already, but I thought Anne would like to come along on vacation.  Plenty of Time magazines from the library.  (If you have magazine subscriptions, stop.  Go to the library instead.  Save money and expand your mind.)  

And a magazine I recently started reading called Living Without, because its full of great gluten-free info.  I think the cosmos are playing a sick karmic trick on me in that I'm reading a magazine by that name.  I prefer to live with in absolutely all things.  Salt, pillows, friends, music, information, ingredients, conversation.  Although I claim the simple life and hug trees, this whole living without thing is quite a game changer.  Go ahead and laugh, God.  I know you are.


But let's focus on the with part, shall we?  This is the most incredible corn bread ever.  I solemnly swear that I will never make another recipe as long as we both shall live.  

Corny Cornbread.....modified from Simply in Season cookbook

2 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. kefir (if you don't know what this is, I'll introduce you later.  Just use plain yogurt.)
3 beaten eggs
1 c. frozen corn or fresh or whatever
some fresh herbs - I used basil, of course

Combine the first 4 dry ingredients.  Then mix in the rest of the ingredients.  Pour into a greased round oven pan or skillet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.


It makes for a great picnic - served with gazpacho.  (No recipe on that today.  It needs tweaking.  But if you say it a few times over, its nearly as fun as eating it.) As I look at this photo, I'm struck at how extremely lucky I am to sit in that empty spot as part of that family.  That is living with!!!