So... long story short, Eva has a "leaky gut". She (woot-woot!!) isn't allergic to corn after-all. Just sensitive to it because her stomach is literally leaking toxins into her bloodstream and causing her asthmatic symptoms. Dr. Amazing helped us figure it out. She has to take some vitamins and avoid all dairy, egg, and peanuts for the next three months. Along with the usual avoidance of all gluten.
That's quite a tall order for a 9-year-old. Especially one who doesn't eat much meat. Ditto times a million for her 29-year-old mama. But I'm going egg and dairy-free with her because it just seems like she shouldn't have to go at it alone.
Its hard. Hard hard hard. Stupid hard.
We are at the end of summer and I'm tired and wiped out. And boy, do I love to eat. I love the garden vegetables, I really do. But I also love CHEESE. Oh for the love of all things delish, I love my cheese.
Said in my best whine: I know its hard for her - good God, she's the one with the LEAKY GUT - but it's hard for me too. Largely because meeting her food needs on top of her, dare I say it, seriously exhausting emotional needs is no walk in the park.
So let's talk about coping....
I've been swimming when Ryan comes home for lunch for a year now. But the outdoor pool is open now for noon-hour swim. Its like chlorinated, watery, cool, sunny, blue therapy. Upping my swim time and laps gives me a great mid-day break, and [BONUS!] feels like I might be doing something good for this skin I'm in with the dairy and egg free life too.
And more than anything, I've taken to lighting a candle frequently in my office (read: kitchen windowsill). It reminds me that this mom gig is hard. That I'm not alone. That I hold my crabby, hard-working, mama self to the Light and all will be well.
