While I made supper tonight, Sage drew my picture...
I'm rockin' wings and a frontbutt.
I feel though, that with an S on my chest, I'm basically invincible.
Which includes making meatballs and the easiest twice-baked potatoes EVAR.
There's just no way to take pretty pictures of meatballs. Similar to photographing toes. (Don't try to tell me you haven't noticed that too.) Do pinterest people have professional photographers living in their spare bedroom?! For real, how do they do it? Well, I don't have the time or the skills but you're going to have to just go ahead and trust me that these two recipes are the bomb-diggity. I haven't posted them ever because I can't get a good picture. Also because I'm not mature enough to talk at length about balls.
But the frontbutt has empowered me to just get them out there anyway, so here goes...
Balls of Meat:
1 lb. ground beef
3/4 c. whole ground oats
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. fat free evaporated milk
1 egg
2 carrots, peeled, and chopped very finely (I don't always do this....learned it from Mom...its a great way to sneak in some extra nutrition)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/8 c. chopped onion
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Combine all ball ingredients in the kitchen-aid mixer. Form 9 raquet-ball size balls. Place in an 8x8 baking dish. Combine the sauce on the stove over medium-high heat until sugar is melted. Pour the sauce over the balls. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees, for one hour. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Sandy Potatoes:
Aunt Sandy from Illinois made these whenever we visited. They have evolved through various kitchens over the years, but eating them still makes me feel spoiled, and they are perfectly Fancy-Easy. Like Sandy.
8 baking potatoes, quartered, with skin on
5 Tbsp. butter, cut into about 16 tiny squares
1 1/2 c. shredded colby-jack cheese
1/4 c. green onion, diced
salt and pepper
Spread out the potatoes, open side up in a 9x13 glass baking dish. Put 3 Tbsp of the butter squares on the potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Take out of the oven and salt and pepper generously. Add the remaining butter chunks. Use a potato masher to mush down the potatoes....they don't need to be mashed completely - allow big chunks to remain. Cover it all in the shredded cheese and green onion. By now your meatballs should have 5-10 minutes remaining...put the pan back in the oven to melt the cheese. Take both the potatoes and meatballs out of the oven at the same time. And walllahhhh....Soive!


