"When God is going to do something wonderful, it starts with something hard. When God is going to do something exquisite, She starts with an impossibility."
~ Anne Lamott
This is my soulmate. She's 54 years old, lives in San Francisco, and writes both fiction and nonfiction. I started reading her books nearly 3 years ago, and have been changed from the inside out. She is witty, insightful, raw, irreversibly, holy, and above all very very real in every sentence. I basically see myself as her personal ambassador to the world. Chances are good that I've begged you in previous conversations to read her books, but just in case...
READ HER BOOKS.
My Dad recently read Traveling Mercies, and two nights ago got out the book and read pages of it aloud at the dinner table. (If you need more convincing to pick up her books: He has his ph.D. in communication and rhetoric!) I was so excited I nearly came out of my body. It was like two of my favorite worlds colliding.....Lamott's rhetoric and Dad's voice and appreciation of literature. And I found out he reads books like I do - he turns down the page corners of places he likes just like me. Could that be genetic? I think so.
