We had an awesome time in Lawrence this weekend for my brother-in-law's wedding. The details will come in separate posts. I'll start at the end...
We splurged on icecream at Brahm's on the way home. The kids were absolute ANGELS at the wedding, so (because we do indeed bribe our children) we told them they could get whatever they wanted.
Eva wore her cute black shirt, brown and pink pj pants, and white dress shoes into the restaurant. Because its all about being comfortable.
The Chachi Band chose bright blue birthday cake icecream covered in hot fudge. Buzz made it very clear from the moment we breathed the word "icecream" miles and miles away from the exit that he would have...
"Orange icecream only. Because it is yummy.
And I do not like chocolate chip or mint.
I will have orange icecream. Mama? I would like orange icecream. Thank you Mama.
I want my icecream to be orange. I like orange icecream Mama. Because I like that kind.
My icecream needs to be orange, Mama."
Upon arrival, his was loaded on top with hot fudge also. That's when the real fun began.
River's promptly plopped upside down on the floor. Of course, we scooped it up and put it back in his bowl and handed it back to him. Ryan has a very low tolerance for strange smells, and decided he could not stand the smell of the floor as he was wiping up the hot fudge, so he handed me his cone and went to the bathroom. (Yes, it is JUST now occurring to me that if the floor smelled that sour, maybe our son shouldn't be eating icecream off of it.)
I sat with a baby on my lap and a cone in each hand. So naturally while he was gone, Sage McCage got her first taste of icecream and the eldest two decided sucking hot fudge through straws was the best route to full enjoyment.
By the end, River even had hot fudge on the back of his neck. Eva had it on the back of her knees. And Sage just plain had a tummy ache.
The next 20 minutes went something like this:
Me: Ok, Riv. We are just going to strip you down and give you a scrub.
River: Will you wash that shirt Mama? I like that shirt. There is chocolate on it.
Me: Yes, Buzz. I'm just going to soak your clothes here. I'll wash them at home.
River: clad only in his tighties I have to go potty. Why did it flush before I was done? I want to push that button again. and again and again and again
.....
Eva: I have to poop. Can you wait in here for me?
Me: Yes, River don't touch that toilet seat. Keep your hands out of your underwear. Do you have to go poop too? Are you sure you don't? No, gross. Keep your hands off the walls. Take them out of your mouth. Can you jump up and down? Show me how you can jump up and down. Eva, are you done yet?
Eva: No, I'm going to need about 24 more minutes (I swear that's what she said)
Me: Ok Buzz, you go to the car with Daddy
...Back at the car, putting a clean shirt on River, with a very tan very beautiful very sleek Johnson County family climbing into their very clean very waxed very posh very white SUV beside us...
River: Oh look! My shirt has a beer bottle on it!
Eva: That's Daddy's favorite drink.
Me: No, its a coke can. And that's not Daddy's favorite drink.
Eva: Yes, it is. He told me it is!
Me: Eva, why are you taking your shirt off? That's not appropriate for a parking lot. Can you see that we're putting shirts ON here?
Eva: Well, I'll get hot. And it has blue icecream all over it.
River: I think I have to poop, Mama.
...
...
...
Thank you, my sweet children for keeping my life interesting.
And mostly today, thank you for keeping me humble.
