Mint Simple Syrup

It is supposed to frost tonight so I cut all the mint and made mint simple syrup today.

Here's how:

Combine 8 c. of sugar and 8 c. of water in a large kettle.
Heat it to boiling, stirring the whole time.
Let it boil for 5 minutes.
Leave it on the stove, but turn off the burner and let the boiling stop.
Stir in a colander-full of mint leaves (about 4 handfuls) - stems and all.
Let it steep for awhile - 30 minutes or whatever you have time for.

Remove the mint leaves and toss them into the compost.
(Can you imagine how drunk on sugar those bugs and worms will get?!)
If you're fanatical about your syrup looking pure, you may want to strain it to get out the teeny pieces of leaves.  I think they add charm.

Pour it into canning jars.  (7 pint jars needed)
Let it cool.
Add a fresh mint sprig and screw on the lid.
Store in the fridge for months.


Here's how I use it:
       * stir into iced tea
       * add a couple of tablespoons to any combo of fruit
       * freeze watermelon, then crush it up, then pour syrup over it.
               serve it in goblets and add a mint sprig.
       * pour a little over a bowl of snow
       * shake 1 Tbsp. syrup with 1/4 c. club soda, a squeezed lime,
              and a shot or two of rum for mojitos in the winter

****SPOILER ALERT****
I'm giving these as gifts for Christmas to family and teachers.  I'll post pics of the finished product later.

Although I'm sad that the frost is coming and my precious mint will be going dormant, this syrup is decidedly Reason #3 that I LOVE FALL!