Cincinnati Chili


My sincere apologies for not yet posting this recipe.  
Fast, cheap, easy, handy, crowd-pleaser, and TASTY.

When I had lasik eye surgery and was on the drive home - celebrating going from legally blind to now reading road signs in under 2 hours - Mom asked what I wanted her to have ready at home for supper.  I said Cincinnati Chili.

When I recently got over the stomach flu and wondered what to make to ease back into this normal-eating-routine, I said Cincinnati Chili.  Yes, chili.

When we have friends over who don't mind missing the meat, I make Cincinnati Chili.

When the cupboards are nearly bare, I make Cincinnati Chili.

When my kids have been living on candy and vitamins for two days because of holidays and grandparents that spoil them, I need something I know they'll gobble down and walk away nourished.  I make Cincinnati Chili.

You should make Cincinnati Chili too.

1 small onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 c. beef broth
can of diced tomatoes, undrained
can of red or pink beans (pinto, kidney, whatever), drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
dash of sugar (to remove bitterness of tomatoes)

12 oz. box of whole wheat spaghetti

Saute the onion and celery in the olive oil until tender.  Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer while you make the spaghetti.  Serve it topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, and diced green onion.  

Really.  Just make it.  You're welcome.