Advent


If it looks like we're having a birthday party here, we are.  The Buzz is totally into this being "Jesus' birthday".  Maybe because he just had one??  So for our daily Advent activity this year, we wrote them down on paper, rolled them up and put them in balloons, and hung them from the rafters.  Every day the kids get to pop a balloon and we do whatever is inside.  

So far we have gone on the luminary walk at the arboretum (SO magical), given warm scarves to the homeless shelter, watched a Christmas movie, and made paper snowflakes.  Today we're decorating Christmas cookies.  It already looks like the glitter fairy threw up in my kitchen, why not add some sugar sprinkles to the floor too?  We're pretending our linoleum is made with sparkles - like in the 70's. I suppose in the 90's, they could've added sticky sugar for special effect.  Don't you think?

I love doing this every Advent season with the kids.  When I just had Eva, we did this sort of over-eager-crafty-mom thing every day.  Now I save up all my energies for Advent!  At least that's what I will go on telling myself.


This year I won't win mom of the year, because Riv is allergic to latex.  Otherwise, a great idea!

And when we aren't busy with our Advent stuff, we are very very very busy watching Survivor.
Is there some kind of a conflict there?  We welcome the Savior who opened up the Kingdom to absolutely all, while we watch people systematically voted off an island for a million dollars?  Hmmmm.  Well, its all about balance, right?!


Clearly on Family Survivor, Riv will be Jeff, Eva will be at tribal council, and Sage will be the one to actually compete in the challenges.

We have them pretty well trained to not watch commercials.  Ever.  This is what happens during every break.  Every one.


Happy Advent to all!