eggs and toast

You know what I love?

calling the school while putting together powerpoints for work while texting the sitter while eating a snickers bar for breakfast.

hugging River as he stands crying in front of me at the exact same time I'm peeing on the toilet.

doing 12 loads of laundry, and then finding one load left undone that got mixed in with the clean stuff.

loading the dishwasher, unloading the dishwasher, loading the dishwasher, unloading the dishwasher.

getting our bikes over the train tracks with Sage in the carrier and Riv on his bike.

picking up the toys while they nap because its just easier that way.

scrounging for quarters in the car console when stopping at Sonic to fulfill the cherry limeade bribe for Eva.

planning meals, grocery shopping, catching ingredients I missed, cooking the food, feeding the mouths.

searching for that lost library book.

making breakfast shakes while brewing the coffee while signing off on the homework while packing a gluten free lunch while holding Sage while talking to River while escorting Eva to the bathroom to "for the third time I'm telling you to brush your teeth".

I love it.  I can't imagine why because it is work work work to to be calm, to stay centered, to show love, to just plain get it all done and laugh it through.  Its constant.  It is work.  And I love it.

Once every so often things in my inner self threaten to come crashing down.  Like really crash and say I'm tired and someone else just do it all and no more nice mama.

That's when I call in the eggs and toast therapy.  


I make it.  I sit in the quiet.  I drink my coffee.  I cry a little.  I read a little.  I pray a little.  I ask for help. 

I get to the end of this communion of yolk and wheat and coffee, and I am ready again to do this work I love.  I really really think that being a mama and friend and wife and worker and just plain sane person is about finding these simple acts that center us, that take time, that bring us back down to center.  

I'm ever so grateful.