We stopped at an orchard with our friends on the way home from KC. They are just our kind of people...ones who get excited about a hot afternoon at an orchard where apples are only 50 cents a pound and the kiddos can eat while they pick. Oh Fall, I love you for so many reasons...and so far this year, apple picking gets to be #1.
I don't like pie. But I really do like this. Let's just call it a "Creamy Apple Pastry". Its Talashia's recipe, and we make it every Thanksgiving. But why wait?!
1 unbaked pie crust
6 c. peeled, cubed apples
1/3 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 c. sour cream (I used greek yogurt this time - Fage brand)
1 tsp. vanilla
topping:
1/3 c. flour
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. cold butter
Combine the apples, sugar, cornstarch, and allspice. In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla and sour cream. Mix with the apples. Put into the pastry crust (see? even the recipe calls it that!). Cut together the topping mixture, and sprinkle it over the apples. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly and golden.




